Sunday, March 23, 2014

James Lardner and Griffith's Valuation of County Clare

In my last POST I listed a number of leads gathered from my 2nd great-grandfather, James Lardner, that could be followed in order to expand the family search to the shores of Ireland.
Taking note of the birth information of the two Lardner children that came to the U.S., the first stop for my research was to go to the records for Griffith's Valuation to see how common the surname was in 19th century Ireland.  These records are accessible for free on the Ask About Ireland website.  In doing a quick search on the Lardner name, I found out something rather surprising...there were only eleven results and among those entries there was only one James Lardner.


I went back to did additional searches on variations of the Lardner name I had come across in my genealogical quest...and still the original search was the only one that pulled up any information.  So the question became, is the James listed my direct relative? and are the others listed also related to me?

Of course, the entry for James Lardner doesn't show any direct lineage information because of the type of record the land valuation was.  It does, however, give a clue to the living environment this particular James Lardner was surrounded with in about 1855 (when this valuation was published).


The record shows James Lardner as a tenant of Captain Francis Casey, living in the townland of Cloonlaheen West, parish of Kilmurry in County Clare.  With his leased property consisting of a house, offices, and land (approx. 14 acres), which had an estimated value of £3 5s. and was located west of the town of Mullagh and just north of Doolough.  

If this was my great-great-great grandfather, I had just found the home place of my Lardner family! ... But, the local church records for the area needed to be searched in order to confirm that a certain James Larder (Jr) had been born there in and around the first day of January, 1840 to a couple by the names of James Lardner (Sr) and Bridget Sullivan.

Until next time...

All the Best,
Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment